The Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM program is a third party, multi-attribute eco-label administered by the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute that assesses a product’s safety to humans and the environment and design for future life cycles. The program provides guidelines to help businesses implement the Cradle to Cradle framework, which focuses on using safe materials that can be disassembled and recycled as technical nutrients or composted as biological nutrients. Unlike single-attribute eco-labels, the Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM program takes a comprehensive approach to evaluating the design of a product and the practices employed in manufacturing the product. The materials and manufacturing practices of each product are assessed in five categories: Material Health, Material Reutilization, Renewable Energy Use, Water Stewardship, and Social Responsibility. Click here for complete description of Certification Criteria .
The Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM program was founded in 2005 by McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry (MBDC). In 2010, William McDonough and Dr. Michael Braungart
formed the non-profit Institute to manage and administer the
certification program as an independent third party organization.
MBDC gifted an exclusive license to the institute for the product
certification mark and methodology.
MBDC is the leading service provider for the certification program and partners with product manufacturers to complete the certification process. Click here for more on the Certification Process.
Products or materials from any industry that are sold to consumers or other businesses are eligible for certification. Certification criteria are the same for all product
types. The Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM program does not apply to people, businesses, buildings, or processes. Click here for information on the Application Process
Consumers can rely on the certification mark to identify and specify sustainable products for their homes, businesses, and buildings. Click here for the current list of Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM Products.
Levels of Achievement
The Cradle to Cradle framework has outlined a vision to guide product design and manufacturing, and the certification program recognizes varying levels of achievement towards that goal.
There are four levels of product certification: Basic, Silver, Gold, Platinum. In order to be certified at a certain level, a product must meet the minimum criteria for that level in all five criteria categories: Material Health, Material Reutilization, Renewable Energy Use, Water Stewardship, and Social Responsibility.
General Description of Certification Levels:
• All chemicals in product identified down to 100ppm level (0.01%)
• No PVC, chloroprene, or related chemical at any concentration
• All materials and chemicals assessed for toxicity to human and environmental health
• Strategy developed to optimize all remaining problematic chemicals
• All materials defined as technical nutrients to be recycled or biological nutrients to be composted
• All requirements met at BASIC level
• Halogenated hydrocarbon content <100ppm
• Toxic heavy metal content (Pb, Hg, Cd, Cr+6)< 100ppm
• Material Reutilization score >=50
• Quantify the energy required for manufacturing (final assembly)
• Characterize energy sources and develop strategy for including renewable energy
• Adopt company wide water stewardship principles or guidelines
• All requirements met at BASIC and SILVER levels
• NO problematic chemicals (assessed by MBDC as RED) in product
• Plan for product recovery and closing the loop
• Material Reutilization score >=65
• Use renewable energy for 50% of manufacturing (final assembly)
• Complete an audit to characterize and quantify water use
• Complete an audit of corporate social responsibility practices
• All requirements met at BASIC, SILVER & GOLD levels
• Actively recovering products and closing the loop
• Material Reutilization score >=80
• Use renewable energy for 100% of manufacturing (final assembly) and 50% of supply chain manufacturing
• Implemented innovative measures to improve water conservation and water quality
• Complete a third party social responsibility certification
Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM is a certification mark licensed by Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute.